Instructor courses now open for 2024 / 25 winter season!
Secure Your Spot

US Citizens - Looking to work abroad? Here’s where you can go.

Been dreaming of traveling and exploring the world? Always wanted to work a ski season in another part of the world or chase the snow from the Northern to Southern hemisphere? You’ve come to the right place as we’re going to break down where you can go and how you can set yourself up for success. 

What’s the visa situation? 

In order to work anywhere outside of the US you’ll need a work visa. If you are between the ages of 18 to 35 you will qualify for a working holiday visa which will allow you to work and travel for up to a year. US citizens can get these visas to Australia, New Zealand and Canada. For Canada, you will need to go through a registered organization to apply. Visas for New Zealand and Australia are available both online. There is also a newer sponsorship option available in Japan through marketing and ski instructor job roles. 

Wait a second? I can work in Japan?

Japan is becoming really popular, especially for snow sports enthusiasts. More and more Americans are traveling to Japan to experience the amazing powder (probably the best in the world, seriously), culture and incredible food. If you are a qualified level 1 ski instructor there are sponsorship opportunities available through the ski schools. The resorts of Niseko and Hakuba have a large number of foreign tourists with English being the main language used so working and getting around is pretty easy. We recommend learning at least a little Japanese as it goes a long way with the locals and will help you connect and establish friendships. 

Sounds great but I don’t know how to ski (and if you do, level 2 if for you)

We specialize in ski/snowboard instructor training courses. We have options for those with no experience where we start with group lessons and then move to the level 1 instructor training which will allow you to teach beginners. If you are already at a strong intermediate level then you can get both your level 1 and level 2 to teach at an intermediate level. Our courses run for 11 weeks starting in January and include most everything from accommodation, training, exams, passes and social/cultural experiences. One other major component we help with is preparing you to apply for work with the different ski schools. We’ll review your CV, online presence and develop an interview video to showcase your skills to hiring managers. We’ll also have industry meet and greets throughout the season to network and build relationships to help you find work the following seasons. 

The Endless Winter - How to chase the snow 

Back to back seasons are a thing you say? You can travel from the Northern Hemisphere (America, Canada, Japan) to the Southern (Australia and New Zealand) and keep that winter stoke going. With some planning you can set yourself up to just enjoy it for a couple of seasons or open the door to new and exciting career opportunities. You’ll want to gain your level 2 certification as soon as you can and then start working on your level 3. You’ll be able to utilise the working holiday visas in the beginning and then leverage your experience for future visa sponsorships. 

Whew, that’s a lot to think about. How do I start planning? 

You’ll want to map out your timing and research the visas well in advance. Canada’s visa can take 3 to 4 months while New Zealand and Australia can go through in just a couple of weeks. We’re here to help answer any questions you may have while planning your season. Please contact us directly at See you out there!!

Visa Resources: 



New Zealand:


Your safety means everything to us! You'll travel with us with full security through Project Snow's Travel Guarantee

©  Project snow limited - all rights reserved 2023

Privacy policy